Wisconsin Examiner reporter job description
Location: Madison, WI
Status: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: WI Editor-in-Chief
The reporter will provide political and government coverage for the Newsroom outlet in Wisconsin. The reporter will work on daily, fast-paced deadlines to produce investigative and enterprise journalism on topics determined in consultation with the Editor-in-Chief. The reporter will also provide content for the outlet’s dynamic daily briefs and distribute site content on social media and other sources. Very competitive salary and excellent benefits.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Produce regular, high-quality reporting on issues facing Wisconsin
- Contribute regularly to outlet’s briefs section
- Generate story ideas with the editorial team
- Pursue story leads, both self-generated and as assigned, with self-direction and solid news judgment
- Approach assignments on deadline with strong communication and follow through with the editors and colleagues
- Assist other reporters with research and pertinent knowledge when/if available
- Help with copy editing as needed
- Establish and expand digital media presence representing the outlet and to amplify the site’s content, presence and voice
- Take photos and amplify stories.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field and previous news reporting and/or editing experience. Self-starter with sound news judgment and ability to manage ongoing and short-term projects with strong attention to detail and accuracy.
Valued and Non-Essential Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
Knowledge of state’s political landscape and leaders, previous digital, photography and/or videography experience a strong asset.
How to Apply
Send your resume and clips (or links) to Editor-in-Chief Ruth Conniff ([email protected]) and Deputy Editor Melanie Conklin ([email protected]) along with any comments or questions. We are seeking to fill the reporter position immediately.
States Newsroom is a 501(c)(3) public-interest organization dedicated to state news. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. States Newsroom work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.